Alprazolam, an anti-anxiety medication, comes from the benzodiazepine family. Some other very popular and effective medicines of this family include diazepam(Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), Flurazepam (Dalmane), clonazepam (Klonopin)and others.
Any unrealistic apprehension or worry that causes restlessness, palpitations, sweating, flushing, cold hands and feet, stammering, difficulty concentrating, sleeping problems and shortness of breath etc. are some of the symptoms of anxiety disorders. The panic attacks trigger unexpectedly.
How To Take This Medication?
Alprazolam is available in four forms: tablet an extended release tablet, oral disintegrating tablet, and a concentrating solution. All these forms can be taken two to four times in a day depending upon the severity of the condition. However, the extended release tablet is effective when taken in the morning. In addition, take them as whole, do not chew or crush them. Make sure you read the instruction written overleaf andconsult the doctor regarding the same.
Do not self-prescribe or overdose. Both are dangerous and can give you a run for your money. In addition, do not stop taking Alprazolam on your own for you could experience certain withdrawal symptoms in the form of dizziness, headache, sweating, and difficulty sleeping, concentration issues, depression or aggressive behavior. Vomiting, diarrhea, heartburn, numbness in hands or feet, reduced appetite are some temporary symptoms that would go once your body is accustomed to the medication.
Some Other Uses Of Alprazolam
Doctors sometime, prescribe Alprazolam for relieving the symptoms of depression, premenstrual syndrome or fear of open spaces.
Important Considerations Before Taking Alprazolam
- Do not take this medication if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. It can harm the fetus or the baby.
- If you have any previous history of depression or alcoholism, it is better that you consult the doctor. In addition, do not consume alcohol until the time you are on this medication.
- Tell your doctor if you suffer from asthma or any other breathing problems, kidney or liver disorders, narrow-angle glaucoma.
- If you are 65 years of age or above, avoid the medication. However, if you want, please talk to the doctor regarding the same.
- Use Alprazolam until the doctor prescribes. Any un-prescribed consumption can lead to addiction and lead to some serious side effects.
- When purchasing this medication from online pharmacy, pay attention to the ingredients. There have been reports of some samples sold online containing Haloperidol (Haldol). It is an antipsychotic drug, which gives some serious side effects.
- If you are allergic to Alprazolam or Benzodiazepines
- If you had any surgery in the past including the dental surgery.
What To Do If Someone Misses The Dose?
Take the dose as soon as you are reminded. However, if the time for next dose is near, let the missed dose kept skipped and you take the next dosage on time.
Side Effects Of Alprazolam
Mild Side Effects:
- Drowsiness, dizziness
- Blurred vision
- Problem with sleeping
- Swellings in hands and feet
- Stomach upset
- Nausea and vomiting
- Swelling in hands and feet
- Reduced appetite
Call Your Doctor Immediately If You Notice Some Serious Side Effects Like:
- Depressive mood
- Suicidal thoughts
- Frequent urination or no urination at all
- Chest pain
What To Avoid While Taking Alprazolam?
Abstain from alcohol consumption until you are taking this medication. It could impair your thinking process. In addition, do not take the medication along with grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Take the prescribed dosage with plain water only.