Armodafinil Treats Excessive Sleepiness Associated With Sleep Disorders
- Generic Name
- Brand Name
- Average Delivery
- Expire Date
Armodafinil is marketed under the trade name Nuvigil. The generic version of Armodafinil is also available in the market. The FDA granted rights to market the first generic version in the US in 2016. Armodafinil is prescribed for treating excessive sleepiness related to sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work disorder. It is frequently used off-label to treat the major depressive disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and chronic fatigue syndrome.
The USFDA approved Armodafinil in June 2007. Note that this drug will not cure sleep disorders. This medication is classified under a category called Wakefulness promoting agents/Psychoanaleptic. Armodafinil can be habit-forming. It is available on prescription at local pharmacy stores and online pharmacies. Armodafinil containing oral tablets should be taken every morning for obstructive sleep apnea and narcolepsy one hour before starting the shift in case of sleep work disorder.
You may also like:
Armodafinil is a single isomer of Modafinil and has a longer half-life of 15 hours, thus it can be more effective in promoting wakefulness in individuals with extreme daytime sleepiness. You can take this drug with or without food. However, the presence of food can interfere with its absorption. The chemical formula of Armodafinil is C15H15NO2S and its molecular weight is 273.35. Armodafinil is readily absorbed post oral administration.
The mechanism of action of this drug is not clinically determined. It produces action on the area of the brain that controls the sleep/wake cycle. It acts by increasing the concentration of the substances that help in staying awake. The action of Armodafinil is comparable to sympathomimetic agents such as amphetamine and methylphenidate. However, its pharmacological profile is different than these agents. This drug not only promotes wakefulness, but also enhances energy levels, improves mood, and cognitive ability.
- Read all the usage instructions given on the prescription label carefully while taking this medication. In case you have any questions about its usage, discuss it with your physician or pharmacist.
- Tell your entire medical history to your physician, including medications that you are taking currently.
- The dose of this medication will depend on the medical history, overall health condition and response to treatment.
- To obtain maximum effect, take this medication regularly as directed by your physician.
- You are more likely to suffer from withdrawal if you have used higher doses of Armodafinil or have used it for a long duration. To avoid withdrawal, do not discontinue its use at once.
- Inform your physician if you are having a history of allergy to its active or inactive constituents or Modafinil.
- This medication is not approved for use in children and should be used with caution in persons having age 65 years and above.
- You are more likely to suffer from the side effects of Armodafinil if you are consuming increased amounts of beverages containing caffeine.
- Prolonged use of this medication can decrease its efficacy. Inform your physician if Armodafinil is not working well.
- This medication is contraindicated in people having a history of heart problems like heart attack, chest pain or irregular heartbeats, high blood pressure, liver dysfunction, kidney dysfunction, and mental disorders, etc.
- You are more likely to develop an addiction if you use this medication for an extended duration.
- Avoid indulging in activities that require attentiveness such as driving, as this medication can also make you dizzy, even though keeps you awake.
- Regarding the usage of this medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding, you can consult your physician.
- Armodafinil may decrease the efficacy of birth control methods. So, consult your physician for suitable birth control methods.
- Headache, dry mouth, light-headedness, and insomnia are commonly observed side effects of this medication. These side effects are temporary and they are observed only until the drug is present in the body.
- If any of these side effects do not improve or continue for a long time, contact your doctor at once and seek medical help.
- Contact your physician immediately if you experience serious side effects such as rapid or irregular heartbeats, agitation, depression confusion, etc.
- Take the missed dose the moment you recollect. If it is near to bedtime, skip the dose and consume the next scheduled dose. Do not consume an extra dose to make up for the missed dose.
Submit your review
I used to feel extremely sleepy during the daytime. I took Armodafinil. With this medication, I felt more energetic. It also improved my mood. The cost-effective generic version of Armodafinil is also available in the market. It is sold at discounted rates at MedStoreRx. MedStoreRx is a renowned online pharmacy selling medications at competitive prices all over the world.