Ciloxan Eye Drops Is Effective Against Ocular Bacterial Infections
- Generic Name
- Brand Name
- Average Delivery
- Expire Date
Ciprofloxacin is the active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) present in Ciloxan Eye Drops. Ciloxan Eye Drop is a 0.3% sterile ophthalmic solution manufactured by the global medical company Alcon. It is only meant for topical ophthalmic use. It is prescribed for treating bacterial eye infections like corneal ulcers and conjunctivitis. Ciloxan Eye Drops will only treat bacterial eye infections. This drug product is not effective against other types of eye infections.
The active constituent, Ciprofloxacin is a member of a class of drugs called quinolone antibiotics. It is a schedule H drug and is available only on prescription. Ciprofloxacin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic and is effective against various bacterial strains. Conditions such as conjunctivitis, blepharitis (bacterial infection of the eyelids), and corneal ulcers are effectively treated by Ciprofloxacin. When no other antibiotics work, ciprofloxacin can produce effective results as cross-resistance between a fluoroquinolone and other antibiotics is not observed.
You may also like:
Ciprofloxacin came into medical use in 1987. The drug molecule was patented in 1980. It has a molecular weight of 331.35 g/mol and a chemical formula of C17H18FN3O3. This drug is useful for treating various bacterial infections, which include, infections of joints and bones, cellulitis, urinary tract infections, prostatitis, respiratory tract infections, and gastroenteritis. It is a bactericidal type of antibiotics and thus works by killing bacteria.
Ciprofloxacin is active against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. The action of this drug can be observed within one to two hours post-administration. The effect of Ciprofloxacin can last for about a period of 12 to 20 hours. This active component, Ciprofloxacin has 100 times more affinity towards bacterial DNA gyrase as compared to mammalian DNA gyrase. It works by inhibiting DNA gyrase, and a type II topoisomerase, topoisomerase IV, which are required separate bacterial DNA, thus stopping cell division.
- Tell your doctor your complete medical history before using this drug product. Also, inform about all the medicines that you are using presently.
- Read and follow all the directions for use mentioned on the prescription label carefully while using Ciloxan Eye Drops. If you have any questions regarding its usage, contact your doctor before using it.
- Do not use Ciloxan Eye Drops in greater or smaller amounts or more often than advised by your physician.
- If you are wearing contact lenses, remove them before using Ciloxan Eye Drops.
- This medication should only be used after washing your hands thoroughly. To prevent contamination, avoid touching the tip of the dropper to eyes or any other surface.
- While instilling eye drops, tilt your head gently backward, pull down your lower eyelid and squeeze the bottle by holding the dropper above the eye.
- If you are using any other eye drops, wait for at least 10 minutes after using Ciloxan Eye Drops.
- This medication is generally prescribed for five to fourteen days. Do not stop using this drug product, unless your doctor advises you to do so. Use this drug product nearly the same time every day.
- Before using Ciloxan Eye drops, tell your physician or pharmacist to its active constituent, to other drugs of its class such as levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, etc. or are having any other kind of allergies. Avoid using Ciloxan Eye Drops, if you are suffering from problems related to eyes.
- Overuse or unnecessary use of Ciloxan Eye Drops medication can reduce its effectiveness and will not produce the desired results.
- Ciloxan Eye Drops may momentarily produce blurred or unstable vision. So, do not perform any activities like driving, operating machinery that needs clear vision while using this formulation.
- Before using Ciloxan Eye Drops during pregnancy and breastfeeding, discuss all the risks and benefits.
- Store this medication away from light, heat, and moisture at room temperature. Do not refrigerate. Keep the bottle of the medication tightly closed when not in use.
- Never use this medication if you observe particulate matter in the solution or if the solution has changed its color.
- Eye discomfort, redness, itching, light sensitivity are commonly observed side effects of this medication. These are minor and temporary. In case any of these side effects worsen or continue to occur for a long time, call your healthcare provider promptly.
- Avoid using Ciloxan Eye Drops for a long period of time. Extended use can result in a new fungal infection of the eye.
Submit your review
I was suffering from a bacterial eye infection. My doctor prescribed me Ciloxan Eye Drops. It contains an antibacterial called Ciprofloxacin. The effect of this medication starts within one to two hours post-administration. My infection was cured in five days. I ordered Ciloxan Eye Drops from MedStoreRx at discounted rates.