Memantine Treats Alzheimer’s Disease Effectively
Memantine 200 mg
Price per pill
- Generic NameMemantine
- Strength(s)200 mg
- Brand NameNamenda
- Average Delivery25 days
- Expire Date2023
Memantine is regarded as the first line of treatment for Alzheimer’s disease. It is prescribed for treating moderate to severe confusion related to Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s is a disease in which a person’s ability to think, communicate and memory are affected. Note that this medication does not treat Alzheimer’s disease, but it improves the symptoms of the disease and delays its progression. Memantine is sold under the brand Namenda. Namenda is available as extended-release capsules in 7mg, 14mg, 21mg, and 28mg strengths.
The generic version of this medication is also available in the market. It is believed that Alzheimer’s disease is a result of unnecessary stimulation of nerve cells by the neurotransmitter glutamate present inside the brain. Unnecessary stimulation of nerve cells degenerates nerves. Memantine blocks the NMDA receptors and protects the nerve cells from the unnecessary stimulation and effects of glutamate. This medication should be used on a regular basis to get the most benefit.
You may also like:
Memantine was approved for therapeutic use in the United States in 2003. This medication belongs to a family of drugs called NMDA receptors antagonists. It is schedule H drug and thus is available on prescription. It does not develop an addiction. The molecular formula of Memantine is C12H21N•HCl and the molecular weight is 215.76. This medication is generally used in Alzheimer’s patients who are not able to tolerate AChE (acetylcholinesterase) inhibitors.
Memantine improves temper, reasoning ability, performance, in persons suffering from moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease. Patients with a mild form of the disease do not benefit from this medication. This medicine is taken by mouth and should be taken only if benefits are observed. Take this medication only after consulting your physician. The time required by Memantine to produce its effect is not clinically determined. The time for which this medication remains active in the body is also not determined.
- Read all the instructions mentioned on the prescription leaflet carefully before taking this medication.
- Your physician can change your dose occasionally so that you can obtain maximum benefit.
- Never take Memantine in a smaller or larger amount or for an extended duration of time than recommended by your physician.
- Food does not interfere with the absorption of Memantine. So, you can take it with or without meals.
- This medication should be kept at room temperature, away from direct heat and moisture.
- The dose of Memantine varies depending on the health of the users and his/her medical history. To reduce the intensity of side effects, your doctor may prescribe you a low dose initially and will slowly increase your dose.
- Before starting treatment with Memantine, tell your doctor if you have any kind of allergies or if you are allergic to it.
- Do not start taking or discontinue treatment with Memantine without consulting your physician.
- This medication is not recommended for use in children and adolescents. This medication should not be used if you are suffering from kidney dysfunction, epilepsy, severe urinary tract infections, and recent dietary modifications (from a protein-rich diet to a vegetarian diet).
- Memantine is likely to make you drowsy. The use of alcohol can also induce dizziness. So, do not engage in activities requiring concentration and limit your intake of alcohol while using this medication.
- Also, inform your doctor if you are using marijuana while on treatment with this medication. Also tell your doctor if you are taking drug products containing acetazolamide, methazolamide and sodium bicarbonate. These substances can interact with Memantine.
- This medication should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding unless absolutely essential. You must consult your physician in such cases. After considering the potential risks and benefits, he/she will advise you to continue or stop using it.
- The commonly observed side effects of this drug include dizziness, back pain, abdominal pain, constipation, and vomiting. Any of these side effects continue for an extended duration or exacerbate, call your doctor right away.
- The majority of persons using this medication do not suffer from serious side effects. The serious side effects of this medication include depression, aggression, and mood changes.
- If you forget to take a dose, take it immediately after you recollect. Skip the dose if it’s almost the time to take the next dose. Never taken an additional dose to catch up.
Submit your review
I used to forget things and act weird at times. My family was worried and so they took me to a specialist. I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. My doctor had prescribed me Memantine. This medication has improved my symptoms. If you are looking out for quality medications at discounted rates, then MedStoreRx is the place. MedStoreRx sells medications approved by regulatory agencies at cost-effective prices.