Back pain problems are one of the most common complaints among many of us. Many of us cry in pain and try to get it cured with different types of balms and sprays and other medications. We cry in agony as at times back pain goes uncontrollable. We do all sorts of things but still when it doesn’t give us any relief, we approach a doctor. Let’s find out what are the causes, symptoms, treatment, and other details about back pain.
Causes Of Back Pain
There are times when we hurt you back playing football or some kind of sports. Or accidently while showing your moves you might get a terrible sprain or a cramp in your back. That is the time we tend to ignore and not care much but in reality it hurts you later and hurts you bad. So it is necessary that anytime you fall down during playing and kind of sport or any activity it is vital to show your pain and consult a doctor and not ignore it. It can be a spinal injury or severe back pain which needs immediate medication. Being overweight also can be one of the causes of severe back pain.
Herniated Disc: Any kind of problems that you are facing with the spine’s disc may play a vital role in back pain.
Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is one of the most familiar types of arthritis which at times can involve the spine.
Spinal Stenosis: If an individual’s spinal canal narrows down it may result to a back pain.
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Learn about ankylosing spondylitis, a spine condition that causes back pain.
Spondylolithesis: Spondylolisthesis takes place when there is a slipping of vertebra, and in most of the cases it happens at the base of the spine.
Back Injuries: Back problems very often occur during trips that we take with our friends, sports activities, and recreational activities.
Types Of Back Pain
- Acute pain is one of the most common types of back pain which can be defined as the pain which lasts for period of three to six months and the type of pain which is directly related to the damage of one’s tissue
- Chronic pain is the other type of back pain which is due to an identifiable cause. There are typical kinds of chronic back pain which include structural spine conditions which can cause on-going pain which you are already going through until successfully treated.
- Neuropathic pain is other type of back pain which has been investigated just some years back. This type of pain is also called as nerve pain which many of us face and is different from any kind of injury.
Symptoms Of Back Pain
- Persistent back pain that means no relief even when you are lying down or resting
- Pain down the legs
- Numbness around your genitals
- An injury that has led to a severe back pain
- When you face difficulty in urinating
- Soreness or redness on the back
Diagnosing your back pain is essential. You can cure your back pain in the following ways.
- Get your X-Rays Done as x ray can show the alignment of your bones and hat is that the patient is suffering from, whether it is arthritis or just broken bones
- Mri Or Ct Scans can also be done as getting these done are good for revealing the herniated disks or other problems that one may face with the tissue, nerves or tendons, ligaments, bones and muscles
- You Can Get A Bone Scan Done as a bone scan may be used for detecting bone related problems that you may be facing like bone tumours or bone compression fractures caused by osteoporosis. In such cases the patient receives an injection of some kind of radioactive substance into his or her vein.
There are certain kinds of back pains which are severe and thereby OTC painkillers may not give you the relief you desire in such cases you can opt for NSAID. Hydrocodone, narcotics may also be prescribed by your doctor but under close observation.
Physiotherapy can also be recommended to treat you back pain by using heat, ice or any other kind of electronic stimulation, the sole purpose is to provide your back some kind of relief. If the back pain is severe you might as well go for some kind of surgery like removing a particular vertebra or inserting an artificial disk as recommended by your doctor.
- You can reduce the back pain by exercising as it helps in improving the flexibility in your legs and upper hips.
- Avoid smoking as it leads to back pain too along with many others health problems.
- Your posture while standing should be erect and also while sitting see to it that you do not -bend down too much. Have a good support while you are sitting
- Control your body weight. An increased body weight means too much of back pain. So take care of what you eat and your dietary habits.
You must be feeling redness ad inflammation and to soothe your back you can massage your back with garlic oil and eucalyptus oil.
Drink a glass of warm and lukewarm water and add a tablespoon of honey as it will help you to relax and soothe your back.
You must be having a deficiency of vitamin C as such a deficiency makes you prone to mild or severe backache. Thereby try and increase the intake of vitamin c in your everyday diet.
Warnings / Precautions
Avoid smoking as it can stimulate back pain. Control your diet as people who are obese have more chances of back pain. Avoid bending and putting your pressure too much on your lower back as it could increase your back pain. Sit with your knees higher than your hips when you sit on a chair or a sofa. Avoid lifting any weight above head.
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- What are the symptoms of back pain?
- What measures or precautions should I take so as to avoid the back pain?
- Which stage of back pain and which kind of back pain I am suffering from?
- What kind of treatment should a patient who is suffering from back pain go through?